Thursday, March 27, 2008

Adjustments!

First day, leaving the Gladney Foster Home.

Today at home. We are truly blessed!


As I sit down with a cup of Ethiopian coffee and I am going to do my best to articulate my thoughts on this whole adjustment thing, per your request.
Prior to our living for E we were told numerous times that Isaac does not like strangers and may take a while to adjust to all the changes. This is when we began praying more fervently that God would intervene supernaturally and knit our hearts together before we even met.

Meeting him for the first time. Well, the short of it is he cried a lot. We did not feel it was a good idea to string out our stay at the foster house because of this so we left within 20-30mins. of arriving. Sadly, due to his hard adjustments while in E we felt it was not the best idea to take him back and further confuse him, so we were not able to visit that particular house again.

The first few days. Those were very rough. He cried a lot. He was very attached to me, but would have NOTHING to do with Trevor. That actually lasted until we left. Even though he was hanging on to me for dear life every hour of every day, I still felt that for him I was just a lesser of to evils. In those days I just prayed that God would intervene and bring peace to his heart and help me to not resist bonding with this child that I felt did not want anything to do with being a part of our family. Hear me out, I knew better. He was just a confused little boy who was very scared.

The remainder of our very long trip he had his brief moments of laughing, smiling, and babbling. He was still very clingy, and only preferring one parent. This meant I fed, bathed, changed, put to bed, and held him everyday. As hard as it was we continued to tell ourselves he will get better, he will adjust, this is only for a time, it will not last forever.

Home Sweet Home. From the time we got home we have felt that he is more comfortable. That does not mean we feel he is not afraid to wake up and find that things have changed again. Sometimes he will give us this, fear of the unknown look. We have our great days, were he will spread his wings and fly and days were he fears to leave the nest. We have begun to recognize his facial expressions. He has a look of; oh no you did not just tell me NO; who are you people; joy; and scared.

Even though it has been hard we know and knew it would not be easy. Do I lose it sometimes in frustration, yes. But God is very quick to convict my heart and I ask my sweet children who are struggling as much as I am to adjust to life's changes, for forgiveness. I love them and thank God for both of them. I continue to pray God would give me wisdom, perseverance, and patience to make it through each difficult day. And he does, usually by giving me a "spread your wings and fly" day.

If you want to read two emails we sent while in Ethiopia on this subject written by my wonderful husband click here and go to the previous posts marked Adoption and Ministry and Part 2(this is our pastor's blog). Trevor has great words of wisdom, it is worth reading.

12 comments:

Shelly Roberts said...

Thank you so much for sharing .... the "real" stuff. Praying for you guys as you all continue to adjust and grow together. Blessings~ Shelly

Jay and Heather said...

Oh Keva, I couldn't get through this post without crying. God has blessed you and Trevor with a special gift. You guys love your children and it is so evident. You are a blessing to me--I just don't know what else to say right now but that we love you all and keep you in our prayers.

Jay and Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mama becca said...

Thanks for this Keva! It's good to know that you're being honest with those who read your blog, and honest with yourself. My parents adopted 3 Romanian orphans (at different times), and as an adoptive sibling, I remember those times of adjustment. It's great that you know what to expect, what to pray for, and where his little heart is. It will take time, but you are doing the hard and prayerful work that will bear much fruit. It is so worth it! My sisters, all in or around their teenage years now, recall our patience with them and are so grateful for the gentleness we as a family used to ease them into their new life. I'll be praying for you all as you adjust!!!!
becca

Unknown said...

It will happen. It will happen. I promise, it will happen. Think of how John used to be. It will happen.

Anonymous said...

HEEYYY!!! I wondered if you'd check my blog about Russia! YES! Your family's picture is on our world map!!! We love praying for you all. Lisa

coffeemom said...

Keva, I get it and appreciate you being so honest. Toddler adoption is a whole 'nother thing. I have a daughter who has some attachment issues, and also some more complicated medical/behavioral issues, and it's not always simple or easy. But it is a deep love, brought by God and worth the effort. We are waiting to bring our toddler home too...and really appreciate your forthright posts and experience. Hang in there, he is beautiful and God will bring great graces to you through this. We will keep you in our prayers too. Hang in there, Michele G

Laurzie said...

Keva, I so appreciate your transparency about this issue. Adjustment for some seems like a piece of cake, but for us it was difficult too... FAR more than we expected and were prepared for. The Lord has such wonderful grace for those trying times though! And, WOW will you see such a transformation in your family in the coming months. It's awesome!

ashley said...

I know your probably REALLY busy but I had a few questions for you. We are adopting a 16 month old little boy who is in the Gladney carecenter and I was hoping you perhaps met him!?! I have tons of questions for you about travel as well. If you dont mind sending me your email I would really appreciate it! email me at ash_flo@hotmail.com Thanks!!

Ellie said...

Aww! We are praying for you guys!

I just have a question, did you guys happen to give Travis and Joanna the envelope of pictures we sent for Tigist? Thanks! You can email me at elliemestas@gmail.com

Erica said...

I'm so glad you shared this. Its encouraging to read other peoples perspectives, joys and struggles.

Praying for all of you as you adjust.

Isaac said...

God bless you guys. I am praying for Isaac right now. How are the brothers doing together?
Much Love,
the other Isaac