Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Chai Samuel Atwood...1 Day for the Fame of Jesus and the Glory of God

How many tears can I cry until I have none left? I may find the answer to that mystery soon.

My youngest son lived just over 1 Day. How do I make that make any sense- to me, to my wife, to my Micah and my Isaac? There is only one hope of even beginning to understand this. It is the same hope that offers us any understanding for all of our lives, no matter the length. It is the sure hope of the glory of God.

Despite our world's narcissistic understanding of existence, this world, our lives, were not created for us. We were made to image God. To show him off. To display his character. To declare truth in the midst of falsehood, light in the darkness. In short, the purpose for life is to bring fame and glory to God.

Many miss this truth. Many live long lives, amass great wealth, become loved and adored by millions, and even do very good things for the world...but they miss the truth. Jesus death on the cross and resurrection to life is not a nice story. Neither is it your "ticket to heaven". It is the only way we can do what we were created to do. It is the only way that God made for us to overcome our own treason against a Father that perfectly loves us first. Our self-worship means that we are not worshipping him. Jesus death and resurrection, the gospel, is the only way to true life, one that worships and glorifies God.

Chai Samuel Atwood did not understand this truth. He could not. But God has made a way for children, those who cannot yet understand their own sinful natures and need for redemption, to be brought into his loving fellowship and to be made new. I thank God that Chai is with Jesus awaiting the resurrection of his body.

Chai lived only a day, but through his life and death, many will be reminded of the gospel and, we pray, trust the Jesus who has given him new life. In 24 hours God did more with a helpless, weak, baby than many who do not trust him, live for him, do in an entire lifetime. This is just like God (2 Corinthians 1:26-31). Why do we waste our lives by keeping the gospel silent? Why do we live as if these truths are not real and do not need to be proclaimed? It is because, many times, we think it will show us weak. It will expose us as needy. It will cause others to look at us strangely, to mock us. But God uses the weak to shame the strong so that no one will boast.

So this is where Chai has challenged me. If there is a hope like that of the gospel; a great hope that Romans 8 speaks of, that 1 Corinthians 15 speaks of, a resurrection, a renewal of creation, then I must make it known. I must live as if it is true.

I cannot waste the life and death of Jesus. It is clear that he accomplished salvation on the cross and through his resurrection. I cannot waste the life of my son, Chai. It is clear that his 24 hours of life and all-to-early death have brought the light of the gospel to many. But, I can waste my own life. I can sit on this truth and not live it and speak it daily. I can dope myself with the morphine of my own flesh and this world that comes in the form of life's comforts and ease. Or I can cry out with creation, "Abba, Father! Fix this broken world! Renew this sinful people!" All along, loving and living like there is a resurrection and that the God who created everything through and for his son (Colossians 1:15-20; Romans 11:36) loves me with an everlasting love.

The pain for me makes the message more urgent. Though it will remain, it will lessen in weeks, months, and years to come. For most of you who read this, you will forget the pain even more quickly. Do not pass this opportunity the Lord has afforded to commit yourself to him. It won't happen by promising him to do more or be a better person (Romans 4:5). The change you need, the change you long for, will only come by trusting him with every part of your life.

The gospel is not obey then be loved by God. It is that God has loved you perfectly in Christ, so you want to obey him. Trust him in your marriage. Trust him at your job. Trust him with kids and family. To believe the gospel is to give God everything in response to his great love for you (Romans 12:1-2). This is the way to life (John 1:4).

Chai's name means "Alive". How paradoxical that a child whose name means "alive" died in order for God to bring the message of life in Christ to many.

Does the life you have been graciously given scream the truth of the gospel? Chai's life and death has now for 24 hours and will continue to eternity.

I love you, son. Rest well in Christ.


7 comments:

Katie said...

Keva what a wonderful witness you are to Christ. Chai is so lucky to have you as his mom.

I am truly sorry and I am praying for you and your family everyday. I am sure you have plenty of support where you are. I also wanted you to know I have a friend from college who lost her baby last year. I don't know if you remember Amanda Hester now Buck. But she started a blog to help her through the pain. I want to encourage you to do that. Keep writing down your thoughts whether good or bad. It will help your healing. I haven't seen you in years Keva but I love you and your sweet family.

Cheri said...

Praying for you and your family.I am so sorry that you are having to endure this painful situation.. I don't know you but began reading your blog long ago. I think I found you through Jaime and Nate Brown. God Bless you all.

Jason Taylor and family said...

To God be the glory - thank you Lord for Chai's life. Hold Him Jesus, until the day you are sent for your people!What a day of rejoicing this will be!

love you guys, jason and christie taylor

emily said...

Dear friend, I didn't know. I haven't been on the computer I guess to see this news. I am so very sorry for you and your family and so very encouraged by your incredible faith in the midst of such saddness. He is receiving much glory in the life of this little guy. Huge hugs from Texas.

Adam & Melissa Hoffman said...

Trevor & Kiva, thanks for your post and openness with your lives. There is a fullness in community through tradjety. We appreciate your witness and going before us in your joys and pains of becoming a family.

Unknown said...

Amen, Trevor. We are praying for you and Keva. Thank you for testifying to the grace of God through this process; we are all blessed.

Gail said...

My best friend from PA just lost her identical twins girls; she was 6 months along. I've been a Christian for 12 yrs. but this previous week really tested my faith. Reading your blog has put things back in perspective. What sticks out the most is that our lives do not belong to us; they are ultimately Gods. Those twin baby girls are His creation and we need to be thankful that He has them in His arms. I attend a small group wiht people from Summit and I'm so grateful they sent me this link. Despite the terrible situation that your family has gone through, I appreciate your words of wisdom and love for God. Your faith in our Lord has redirected my eyes back to Him. May God continue to comfort you and your family.