Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Surprise Came This Morning...Chai is Here!!!

Keva woke up this morning feeling fine. She had breakfast and was settling in for another long day of sitting in bed. She began to experience extreme discomfort in her stomach when touched and her fever began to rise...a sure sign of infection. The doctor checked her out and said she wanted to begin to induce labor. We were given a time table of 6 hours and told that we would try to deliver vaginally first. If Chai couldn't take the contractions because of his pre-maturity, we would change to a C-section.

Then it all began to happen fast. Keva's pain and fever escalated quickly. The 6 hours turned to immediate birth by C section. They wheeled Keva away from me at about 10:30 and told me I could come down in about 20 minutes after they had her prepped. The risk of infection already had my mind thinking about what it might be like to lose my wife and youngest son. There I was, helpless in a cold hospital room, dressed in scrubs. I picked up my Bible and read Romans 8 over and over, specifically v. 28-39. I was reminded of the supremacy of Christ and his love. I remembered the ultimate overcoming love of a Father. I remembered by adoption as a son. I remembered the suffering that is in the world through sin and the character that suffering produces. I remembered the cross and the glory that is given to those who trust and love God in Christ. I could breathe again. I prayed these verses for Keva, Chai, and myself and was prepared to walk humbly with God through this whole thing.

The nurse came into the room and told me it was time. I wiped the tears away quickly. We passed the room with the doctors and nurses that were waiting for Chai. There were about 6-8 of them on the ready for the delivery. It was comforting to see them...all focused on the task at hand, the survival of my son. We walked next door to the OR where Keva was and I sat at her head while the doctors went to work. As I quoted Romans 8:28 to her, the Anesthesiologist who was right next to me overheard and said, "Yes, that's right. All things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose." A reassuring word indeed from a brother in Christ. Just as they pulled Chai out, I was able to stand and look at him for about 5 seconds. He looked bigger than I expected and was wriggling around like crazy. He looked active.....ALIVE! As big tears welled up in my eyes, I described to Keva what I saw. They quickly rushed Chai next door to the awaiting doctors to get feeding and breathing tubes and Keva and I rejoiced.

I am still waiting to see Chai as they finish his prep and settling in the incubator in ICU.

Thank you all for your encouraging notes, texts, tweets, and FB messages. It is so comforting to know you are praying. Chai was born just as our church family was gathered for worship. All of the Summit Church was able to pray together for him and Keva. Thank you, Lord for working through the prayers of your people!

Please continue to pray for Chai's health and Keva's recovery during these crucial first hours and days. I will update after I see Chai this afternoon.

Trev

16 comments:

Zack said...

Praise God!

We've never met, but my wife and I were following the tweets and praying along with you.

Congrats!

Talia said...

Praise the Lord that Chai is here! My family attends the Raleigh campus. We haven't had a chance to meet you and Keva yet, but I hear great things from so many people about your sweet family. We have been praying for you all and will continue to do so. Our God is so good.

emily said...

Praying! Welcome to the world little one.

Give Keva a big hug from me please.

Sarah Callender said...

We were praying as Chai was being delivered in Sunday School this morning and then Keyanna read her text that he was born and okay...we rejoice with you and pray for you all that God's protection will be over this little one as he grows! Thanks for updating!

Unknown said...

My dear Keva, Trevor and Chai - We hold you up to our Farther.
Todd & I are praying for yall & we hold you close to our hearts,
Much Love
Aunt Janie & Uncle Todd

The Parkens said...

As fellow parent whose son spent weeks in the Duke ICN, we are praying for you all! Sweet little Chai's testimony will bring glory to our King as we have experienced that walking through the journey we did with our son. Our family continues to pray fervently for each of you!
Adam, Stephanie, and Everett Parken

The Browns said...

God has already richly blessed your precious family with an amazing testimony and tiny Chai is now adding another chapter. We have been praying for your family all weekend, and will continue faithfully. We love you!

Nate and Jaime Brown

Melissa said...

Clayton and I are part of the Summit WCC and have been keeping up with your fb posts and blogs. Just wanted you to know we are praying.

Jennifer said...

We don't know your family personally but have been asked by Jeremy & Amy B. to keep your family in our prayers and we wanted you to know that we are doing just that!

The Partin's said...

You don't know us but we have several mutual friends. Been keeping up with you through those friends and praying so hard for your sweet family!! I know your church family will bathe you in love and prayer during this time, I have prayer warriors here in ATL doing the same for you. I was so saddened to hear this afternoon that Chai has passed,I pray for peace and comfort and strength and rest for your family during this time!

Jessica Lynn said...

I am a friend of Talia's. I just wanted you to know that we have been praying for your family, and will continue to.

Jessica Lynn said...

I am a friend of Talia's. Just wanted you to know that your family is in our prayers.

Amber said...

Our hearts are so heavy right now but we know that God is in control and baby Chai is in His presence right now. We love you and are praying for you.
Love
The Alfonso Family

lg2006 said...

Trevor & Keva, My heart is breaking for you guys. I have been praying for you all day. Just wanted you to know you were on my heart .

A Little Family's Mommy said...

We have only met once, many years ago, but yesterday I was told of your story and while doing my Bible study, this is what I was to read: "My soul weeps because of grief; strengthen me according to Thy word." Psalm 119:28 And today the study ended with this, "Beloved, this is gentleness: Submission, humility, and teachability in the hardest test of life: the loss of a deeply cherished child. No, their son was not theirs to keep, but the cherished things God revealed through his life and death belong to them forever (Deut. 29:29). It's all (you) have left, but it's enough when it has to be. "Hold on to instruction...for it is your life." (Prov 4:13)." I think I am to share this with you. I will continue to pray for your strength and healing.

Dusty Brown said...

Trevor and Keva,
I am so sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you as you journey ahead.
The Brown Family